Thursday, March 6, 2014

SSR: Hypnotic Mosaic





This mural is a Hypnotic Mosaic by Lewis Lavoie. A Hypnotic Mosaic is tightly placing different pieces of patterns together to create another image. This particular piece is made up of multiple different portraits and creates a bigger portrait of what appears to be a woman. This is related to my topic because the portraits are all of different facial expressions. This piece expresses anger, happiness, hope and relief. I believe that the artist did an amazing job on this mural because the audience can somehow feel all the different emotions that are shown.


This type of art works are challenging and take a lot of patience and time. The good thing about doing this type of art work is that the artist can edit the pictures and create the image on a computer before painting or drawing it.  Although I have never done a project like this before, it is something that I am looking forward to doing. I think that this project would give me a lot of points for the end of the year AP test because it meets the many of the requirements such as texture, shape, line and value. This is also a type of abstract piece because the art work does not have to be realistic or makes any sense. Mosaics are very popular in churches. In this case, small pieces of glass are glued together to create religious images. Although I am not a religious person, I would like to some day visit one of those really big churches and see the artwork there. I remember my mom taking me to church when I was younger and seeing the light go through the Mosaic windows. The colors of the glass were so nice that I would space out looking at the colors instead of paying attention.  

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Hypnotic Mosaic before. But I think it looks really fascinating how pictures can create another picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do a painting like this. it would be a really cool image to put on your blog. Also i really like how the other smaller faces create one big face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should! It probably won't look as cool as this one but I can give it a try.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen art like this that is this good before. Have you ever thought about taking a swing at it? Also, have you seen the hidden picture artwork? Once I saw one that was a detailed drawing of a young woman's face, then when you flipped it upside down, It was detailed Old lady. It'd be cool If you posted one of those on here at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think this might be my next project for art. I have seen that type of art before,
      i actually did one also of an old lady.

      Delete
  4. That Mosiac is one weird picture, I've never seen such simple art look so impacting on my brain before, it took a few minutes to recognize the full image that is being shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a very interesting topic to blog about. I like it a lot, and I never would have came up with it. Mosaics are very beautiful pieces of artwork. I know you're pretty artsy, have you ever created a mosaic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have not done anything like this before but I might.

      Delete